Coinciding with the release of the 2018 Oscar nominations, I thought I would weigh in with my favorite 17 movies of 2017. With my top films of the year, I chose them based on three things:
- How much I enjoyed them and/or how much they stuck with me.
- How “good” of a film they were, in terms of their craft.
- Cultural significance and relevance.
17. Beauty and the Beast
15. Lego Batman
14. Spider-Man: Homecoming
13. To the Bone
12. Wonder Woman
11. All the Money in the World
10. Battle of the Sexes
7. Get Out
6. The Big Sick
5. Lady Bird
3. War for the Planet of the Apes
2. Baby Driver
1. The Unknown Girl
I have not yet seen Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri, Molly’s Game, The Florida Project, Phantom Thread, or I, Tonya.
My favorite scenes of the year:
“We’re all to blame” – Wonder Woman
Mall Chase Scene- Baby Driver
“Gaston” Musical Number- Beauty and the Beast
Kumail’s Comedy Show with Beth and Roy- The Big Sick
“The Sunken Place” – Get Out
Worst Film of the Year: The Emoji Movie